An outside expert eye can be tremendously valuable, especially when the stakes are high.
It’s fair to say that where construction safety is concerned, the stakes are high. Working on construction sites is inherently dangerous, and there are plenty of sobering numbers to back that up. For example:
- In industrialized countries worldwide, it’s been estimated that the construction sector employs approximately 6–10% of the workforce, but accounts for 20–40% of the occupational fatal accidents.
- In the United States, construction worker deaths rose by 41% from 2011 to 2019.
For those who oversee or manage construction sites and projects, taking every possible step to mitigate risk is paramount. This is where a construction safety consultant can be invaluable.
What Is a Construction Safety Consultant?
A construction safety consultant is a resource who brings specialized experience, expertise, and training to help ensure a company’s processes, operations, and equipment are as safe as possible.
It should be noted that construction safety experts can operate as either consultants employed by the contractor or advisors acting as owner representatives who are employed by the final operator of the site. For clarity, we will be using the term consultant throughout this post.
Among the key construction safety consulting services that come into play:
- Assessment of Need
- Contractor Program Development and Implementation
- Contractor Pre-Qualification Program
- On-site H&S Supervision/Inspection
- Permit to Work Implementation and Development
- Contractor Management Training
- Multi-Employer Awareness Training
- Behavior-Based Safety
- Fire Protection Strategies
Effective construction safety consultants can provide support throughout the construction life cycle, from selection of contractors to safe transfer at project’s end. They are well versed with EHS best practices and regional compliance standards.
Construction safety training services can be especially valuable, as they leave a lasting impact on your organization’s safety culture.
Why Use a Construction Safety Consultant?
Hiring a construction safety consultant from outside of your organization can yield many benefits. Here are a few of the top advantages:
- Gain cost-efficiency and flexibility. These ad-hoc arrangements are much less expensive than investing in full-time resources for construction safety oversight, especially at the level of expertise the consultants bring.
- Reduce liability during major construction projects. The presence of a seasoned health and safety specialist at a job site mitigates risks and protects your business.
- Ensure compliance with OSHA and other regional agencies.
- Develop consistent selection and oversight of contractors, making sure you’re bringing in qualified people fit for the job.
- Increase process efficiency with a steady hand available to help improve systems based on a deep level of knowledge and experience.
It’s not only important to proactively manage everything happening directly at the site of your construction project, but also any possible impacts on the neighboring properties and communities. This is another strength that construction safety experts bring to the fold: they’re well equipped to understand and account for these nuances.
Many organizations receive tremendous enduring value from their experiences with construction safety consultants, because it helps entrench a culture of safety and awareness. The efficiencies and learnings your staff absorbs through these experts can lead to improved health and safety practices over the long haul and on future projects.
As the American Society of Safety Professionals notes, educating the workforce is one of the utmost priorities and imperatives for successful construction safety.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Construction Safety Consultant?
The pricing of these consulting engagements is variable, depending on the nature of the project and the extent of services desired, among other things. It may well be more affordable than you’d expect.
If you have a need, or potential need, for construction safety consulting services, please get in touch with us and we’d be happy to help you get a handle on the scope and costs.
How to Find a Construction Safety Consultant
Finding a trustworthy and dependable construction safety consultant can be challenging, especially in certain areas of the globe. Luckily, Inogen Alliance can connect you to a global network of trusted associates who understand the varying regulation and compliance specifics of their countries and regions.
No matter where you operate, the stakes are high when running construction projects. It’s a hazardous undertaking and there are many factors to account for. An expert outside eye helps you see what you’re missing, optimize processes, and strive toward a culture of maximum safety.
Inogen Alliance is a global network made up of dozens of independent local businesses and over 5,000 consultants around the world who can help make your project a success. Our Associates collaborate closely to serve multinational corporations, government agencies, and nonprofit organizations, and we share knowledge and industry experience to provide the highest quality service to our clients. If you want to learn more about how you can work with Inogen Alliance, you can explore our Associates or Contact Us. Watch for more News & Blog updates here and follow us on LinkedIn.